Monday, October 4, 2010

German Nanny

The Stover family was blessed with a foreign visitor for the past three weeks. Jana came to visit from Germany. Her main objective for her visit was to spend as much time with Sawyer and 'our' mom. A few shopping trips were squeezed in of course ;)

Jana was a wonderful help and it was so great having a friend to keep us company too. We made two trips to Iowa together and I don't know if I could have done it without her! She was the official car seat carrier as I had a routine weight restriction and she loved it. Never letting me even attempt to get him in and out of the car. She was there to help me get things done around the house and manage emergency feedings on our many outings. We were a very efficient team of three :) I can't thank her enough.

Some fun conversations led to many questions about certain things we do here in the USA. I found that most times the only response I could come up with was "its the American way". Here are a few examples...

"Are these chairs common here? We don't have them in Germany" Referring to the 'recliner'

"Why are there 'party platters' for just vegetables? Don't they know they can do it themselves for much less?"

"How do you feel about Arnold Schwarzenegger being the Governor of California?"

To all of which I responded "That's the American way"

Jana came when Sawyer was 4 weeks old and left when he was 7 weeks old, so she was basically here for half of his life! In that time he started making eye contact, smiling, and pushing up with his legs. So that means next time she comes she has to stay the length of his age. So if she comes when he is 2 years old then she needs to stay for two years ;) Here is a picture of a classic bonding moment with Aunt Jana.

No comments: